Distance from Rishikesh to Auli: 253 Km
Total drive time: 9 hours approx by private Taxi/Cab
How to reach Auli from Rishikesh, Uttaranchal.
From private taxi:
Rishikesh to Joshimath will be 9 hrs drive by private car. The route will be like this: Rishikesh - Shivpuri - Dev Prayag - Srinagar - Rudraprayag - Karnprayag - Chamoli - Joshimath - Auli
You have to take early morning bus to Joshimath. The bus will around 10-11 hours to reach Joshimath. From Joshimath you can either go by taxi (12 kms) to Auli, or you can take the ropeway to Auli from Joshimath.
Auli, 16 km from Joshimath is an ideal winter resort run by Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam (GMVN). Auli is nestled in the lap of snow-capped peaks of Garhwal Himalayas, in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand, near the world famous religious shrine of Badrinath. At an altitude of 2,500 to 3,050 m above sea level, Auli’s well-dressed slopes are flanked by coniferous and oak forests, which offer a panoramic view of mountains.
Best time to Visit Auli:
For the adventurers Auli is at its best in winters. The snow on the steep slopes makes the spectacular ground for skiing. Skiers from far and away throng Auli from late November to late March. In case you plan your visit to Auli between December and March then you may check out the ski courses conducted by Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam. These courses are conducted for both amateurs and advanced learners.
Auli is famous for Skiing and winter adventure sports. Every year winter sports and skiing championship held in Auli.
Places to Visit in Auli
- Chattrakund - 1 km from Gurso Bugyal, in the middle of the jungle is a small lake of sweet water called Chattrakund. This place can be visited when visiting Gurso Bugyal.
- Vanshinarayan Kalpeshwar - 12 kms from Joshimath, 10 kms from a village called Helang, this is a beautiful valley where there is a cave called Kalpeshwar. 10 kms further down the road is a spot called Vanshinarayan which is unmatched in its beauty.
- Gurso Bugyal - 3 kms from Auli, Gurso Bugyal is a huge meadow spread amidst a mixed forest of oaks and conifers. Gurso Bugyal is at 3056 mts above sea-level. One can reach Joshimath via the ropeway. It is barely 1.5 kms from the last tower of the ropeway.As there is no accommodation available here one can only admire the scenery during the day and return to Auli by night.
- Saildhar Tapovan - 15 kms on the Joshimath road is a small village where there are many hot-water springs. 3 kms ahead in Saildhar are hot water fountains where the water is almost at a boiling point.
- Kwanri Bugyal - 12 kms from Gurso Bugyal Kwanri is a very interesting place for trekkers. Its at 3350 mts above sea-level. Many tourists camp here in summer. Nanda Devi hotel in Joshimath organises such camps where porters, guides, cooks and camping equipment are available. June and September months are the best time visit.
- Joshimath - 12 kms from Auli in the Chamoli District is this town with many temples and memorials. It is a gateway to Badrinath and the Valley of Flowers.
At Auli, there is only Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam tourist bungalow with deluxe huts, and a regular vegetarian fare for menu. There also a luxury hotel Clifftop in Auli with good facilities.